Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Pear OS is no more

Pear OS, or Pear Linux, as it used to be called, has gone from the world of Linux distros.

I first noticed that the website was down a few days ago, and today I, when I saw that it was still down, I did a search and found out why. The creator, David Tavares, released a statement saying that it will no longer be available and that  "Its future is now in hands of a company who wants to remain anonymous for the moment".

There has been quite a bit of speculation about which company it is that is being talked about, and perhaps we'll find out later on, but for now, the only ones who know are the ones involved.

Now, Pear OS was never a hugely successfull distro (in respect to the number of users), and I've read comments both from people who will miss it very much, and from people who had never hear of it before saying that it's a good thing that it's gone.

I wrote a review of the Beta release of Pear OS 8, which was to be the last version of Pear OS. After that, when the final version came out, I installed and used it for a month or so.

It was a nice looking distro which worked quite well. It was far from perfect though, having a "dodge windows" type dock at the bottom, without a panel there, means that I was often triggering the dock when trying to click on something at the bottom of a webpage. This latest version also had a lot more bugs than the 2 previous versions, which were almost as stable as the Ubuntu it was based on. The worst part (for me), and what made me move away from it after a month, was serious bugs, which when reported, was marked as solved with a comment in the bug-report about a command to be executed in the terminal in order to fix it.

All that said, I will actually miss it. It was one of a very small, and apparently diminishing, number of distros that focused on making a truly good looking OS. Obviously, looks aren't the most important part of an OS, but once you have the functionality and stability, looks are a nice little perk.


No comments:

Post a Comment