Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Linux Mint 15 - Cinnamon


I was a big fan of Linux Mint back when I first started using Linux, but for the last few years I've been trying various distros, trying to find "the best". Since then, I've found the "classic" desktop a little bit boring, but a few days ago I decided to go back, and it's almost like I never left (in a good way).

In my opinion, Linux Mint has always had two main strengths, stability and usability, and that still holds true with this, the latest incarnation. 

Being based on Ubuntu, it inherits that solid base. It then adds on the Cinnamon window manager, which is smooth, not too hard on the eyes, and easy to work with.

I haven't really used Cinnamon a lot before, but this latest version is really nice. It shows that there is a reason that the "classic" desktop was the way it was for such a long time, but at the same time it combines it with some of the nicer features from the more innovative window managers. I'm thinking specifically about the use of "hot corner" to select active window and workspace, which I really like.

Basically, this is an operating system that you can put in front of just about anyone, and they will be able to use it. There is nothing difficult, or even tricky, it just works. 


No comments:

Post a Comment